About Honey Suckle Vine
Honey Suckle Vine (HSV) is a 4-piece band currently based in New York's Capital District. HSV's original music catalogue, in the hundreds of songs deep, covers a wide range of styles from blues, to rock, to bluegrass, and flavors of jazz and country. Catchy rhythms and relatable hooks give their songs a sense of familiarity.
The writing team of HSV founders Joey Jaquez (vocals, harp) and Jerry Silverman (guitar, vocals) have been developing their sound together for over 20 years. Old friends Graham Espe (bass, vocals), and David Snediker (drums, vocals) joined in 2017, solidifying the lineup.
Despite this iteration of HSV being relatively fresh, chemistry is crucial to our success. Joey, Jerry, Graham, and Dave have known each other and played in numerous different bands alongside each other since the 1990's. They know how to riff off each other's ideas and keep things exciting.
In 1998, Joey Jaquez and Jerry Silverman met and began their musical journey together in Colorado Springs, forming Honey Suckle Vine. After developing their style and writing staple songs of the catalogue like "Please Have Mercy", "Left Behind", and "Lies of The World", HSV moved to Boston, MA to continue writing music and growing as a band. In Boston, HSV recruited a rhythm section and recorded their first 17 song studio album and gigged throughout the Boston area including well known venues like Harper's Ferry, The Burren, and The Third Rail. HSV could also be seen every Friday night at the well known Irish Pub P.J. Ryan's in Sommerville, MA. during this period.
From Boston, HSV moved to New York's Capital District to continue writing / recording music and gigging. In 2006, HSV began the highly successful Open Jam at the Old Saratoga Brewery in Saratoga Springs, NY. In 2011, HSV recorded their second album "Improv", collaborating with Zee Kitonyi and his Upstate NY Hip-Hop production team DUSTWUN Productions (BSE). "Improv" was an exciting and innovative album combining HSV's unique blues / rock style with DUSTWUN Productions Hip-Hop style.
Nearly 20 year's later HSV is still creating, performing, and recording their original music. During 2017, HSV decided to go back to a more traditional band format and added new members Dave Snediker and Graham Espe, bringing a new flair to the HSV team. Currently working in the studio on recording their extensive catalogue of over 120+ songs.
Joey Jaquez - Vocals and Harmonica
- A Montana native, Joey started his first band in 1990, called 'Razors Edge', where he wrote and recorded his first 4 songs.
- At 23 Joey joined The Jessie Cotton Stone Blues Band as their vocalist. This exceptional Colorado based band placed 2nd at the Kansas City Blues competition from 1996-1998.
- In 1998, Joey met co-founded HSV with Jerry
- Opened for James Cotton at the Pikes Peak Blues festival with Joan Taylor & the Mighty Burners in 2002.
- Member of the Jazz Choir at the University of Montana in 2004.
- Co-Founded and hosted the Old Saratoga Brewery Blues Jam with Foxx and the Howlin Boys from 2008-2012
- In 2013 played with The Chad Oakrish Band writing, recording, and opening for Lee Bryce.
- Started Blue Eyed Crow in 2015. The band was featured at the Dead Grass Festival as well as the end of summer McGregor Lake Montana Blues Festival.
- Started the original project "Happy Medium" played the featured artist show at The Badlander.
Jerry Silverman - Guitar and Vocals
- In 1992, Jerry started guitar lessons with local legend Carmen Caramonica, building on a childhood of suzuki violin, piano, and saxaphone.
- 1998, Jerry met co-founder Joey Jaquez in Colorado Springs, CO. and began HSV.
- In 2001, Jerry joined SLUG a Grateful Dead-style band, based out of Utica, NY. During this time, SLUG recorded their 5 song EP entitled: "Hippies, Monsters, Mimes & Lawyers". In 2002, SLUG played the MOE.DOWN festival along side well-know acts such as: The Derek Trucks Band, Medeski, Martin and Wood, Robert Randolph and the Family Band.
- In 2003, Jerry joined the funk rock band, "Chapter Three", also based out of Utica, NY, where he played alongside current HSV members Graham Espe and Dave Snediker
- Co-Founded and hosted the Olde Saratoga Brewery Blues Jam with Foxx and the Howlin Boys from 2008-2012
- In 2012, Jerry joined Ubuntu, a high energy, acoustic - Americana band, based out Saratoga Springs, NY. Ubuntu has been a regular at most of the Saratoga Region bars, such as: Druthers, Bailey's, Tap and Barrel, and from 2013-2016, they headlined Gaffney's on New Year’s Eve.
Graham Espe - Bass, Recording and Production
- Graham began playing in bands in Upstate NY in the mid-1990's. Having attended New Hartford High School with both Jerry and Dave, they played in many of the same bands, including Love Scene Clear, The Backwards Dog Project, and Chapter Three
- Graham attended Hamilton College '98-'02 and studied electronic music production, which led him to the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences (CRAS) in Tempe AZ in '03-'04
- After graduating from the CRAS program, Graham managed recording studios in AZ and NC before settling back in upstate NY in 2006, where he continued to record, produce, and play on studio recording projects.
- In summer 2017, Graham reconnected with Jerry and Joey to talk about recording a demo of their original songs, and promptly picked up the bass again and began playing.
- In his life outside the band, Graham also enjoys playing acoustic guitar and writing singer-songwriter style songs of his own. He lives on a 10-acre farm near Utica with wife, Heather, and son, Lanny. Sometime in the future, there's even plans for converting a barn into a performance venue.
Dave Snediker - Drums and Vocals
- Dave has been playing and teaching music over 25 years
- In 2006 Dave was nominated for a SAMMY (Syracuse Music Award) for best rock CD for his original music CD Wonder.
- Dave has performed far and wide from places like CBGB’s in New York City to The Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse to Valentines in Albany and all places in between.
Dave has played many Regional Music Festivals including the Harvest Moon Fest., Sterling Stage Folk Fest, The Adirondack Music Festival and the Bluergrass Fest.
In 2003, Dave joined, "Chapter Three", a funk-rock band based out of Utica, NY, playing alongside current HSV members Graham & Jerry